This is my go-to recipe whenever I don’t know what to make for dinner. Whether it’s fish, chicken, or just simple pasta. I like it as a dip for vegetables or slathered over grilled fish or chicken. Or with fresh heirloom tomatoes. Try it with tacos!
I always get an “ooooohh” when my hubby sits down at the table. It will take you five minutes to make & adds so much flavor to your dishes.
Since it uses a fresh avocado for its creamy consistency, rather than pricey Parmesan cheese, it’s less expensive to make than traditional pesto.
What you need:
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup almonds (or pine nuts)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Whip it up:
1. Combine avocado, basil, almonds or pine nuts, and garlic in a food processor or blender. With machine running, slowly stream in the lemon juice, olive oil, and water as needed to achieve a smooth pesto. Puree until completely blended and creamy.
2. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Use immediately or keep, refrigerated, for up to four hours.